Monday, July 9, 2012

Kodi's Blog #4 - Page 1-2 Progress!!



Hello friends, fans and visitors!! 

Thank you for stopping by again to check out the progress of Kodi's story!!

I appologize for the distance of time since my last post. I have been riding the rollercoaster of design and art with the many art projects and I have also been doing alot of learning in that time too.

You see, until this last year, I have always been a traditional, pencil medium artist. I have been this ways since I was a child and I love it dearly. Well, as new technology has made many things more efficient, art has also follow that path. With the new types of tables and the awesome features built into Photoshop and other programs, we artists can become much more streamlined when we are tackling all of the art work ourselves like I am with Kodi's story. I am the artist for everything from the lines to the finished color. That is alot of great work to finish.

With my traditional method, I would use large paper and hand draw all of the panels, characters, props and environments. I am a very detailed artist so this takes a good amount of time. Then, I would scan them in and go to adjusting the darkness of the lines and start coloring. As I have been learning to become faster and more efficient, I have learned that my process can be improved by going mostly if not all digital. So, with this new method I have been trying to increase my speed but struggling with the change of technique. I have been getting better though!! Below is the progress of page 1 & 2 of the new short story! What you see below is all photoshop and a tablet. I am finally achieving my goal of having a digital approach that still looks like it is illustrated with a pencil! That looseness and free feeling of form has always been very important to me so enjoy and i will post more progress soon with this spread! I am looking forward to getting this spread finished and going even faster through the next three as I improve on this new skill set.



I have also posted a portfolio to my regular blog recently and you can find it here! Visit and enjoy the other kinds of art I create too!


Thank you all for looking in and I will keep posting content as it is developed!


Thank you and please continue to seek what amazes you. 
Till then, much love

Derrick Utz

No comments:

Post a Comment